by AndrewMc | 3/05/2010 11:59:00 AM
As usual, Frank Rich nails is.

No one knows what history will make of the present — least of all journalists, who can at best write history’s sloppy first draft. But if I were to place an incautious bet on which political event will prove the most significant of February 2010, I wouldn’t choose the kabuki health care summit that generated all the ink and 24/7 cable chatter in Washington. I’d put my money instead on the murder-suicide of Andrew Joseph Stack III, the tax protester who flew a plane into an office building housing Internal Revenue Service employees in Austin, Tex., on Feb. 18. It was a flare with the dark afterlife of an omen.

The modern conservative movement has gone completely batshit crazy, and makes no apologies for it.

Rove says this about the questions surrounding the complete lack of any weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and therefore the lack of any justification for the war:

"When the pattern of the Democratic attacks became apparent in July 2003, we should have countered in a forceful and overwhelming way," he writes. "We should have seen this for what it was: a poison-tipped dagger aimed at the heart of the Bush presidency."

Hey, Karl? No. It wasn't a "pattern of Democratic attacks." It was a growing recognition that the administration had gotten us into a war on false pretenses, therefore needlessly sacrificing the blood and treasure of the nation. At best it was a horrible mistake. At worst it was criminal in nature. My only regret is that instead of throwing you and your cronies in jail, it seems as if the judgment will be left to subsequent generations.

But, hey, thanks for spelling the name of my political party correctly. It's more than I can say for most Republicans.

There's a movement afoot to repeal the 17th amendment. No, seriously.

Here's the logical from bizarro-land, where history stops in 1789:

Until 1913, when the 17th Amendment was ratified, the citizens of the states elected U.S. senators indirectly: Voters elected the state legislators, and they in turn selected U.S. senators. From 1913 onward, voters have directly elected U.S. senators in statewide elections.

This change has led to a number of negative results, including

-Vastly increased federal power and vastly decreased state, local, and personal authority due to the state governments losing their representation in the federal government;

-The domination of Senate elections (and legislation) by forces outside of the particular states wherein elections are being held, e.g., out-of-state donations, political party operatives, and campaign consultants; and

-A decline of the influence of individual voters and small, local associations of voters over who is selected to be a senator from their state.

Two weeks ago I wrote about Don McLeroy, the Texas State Board of Education rep who was singlehandedly, and gleefully, re-writing history. On Tuesday he lost the primary to get reelected. A sliver of sanity from the Lone Star state.

Head 'em up, and move 'em out.

On the one hand, if it's a private institution, they have the right to think, teach, and run their college in any way they want:

Erskine is part of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, which describes itself as conservative and evangelical -- well to the right, on political and social issues, of other Presbyterian churches. The ARP (as members call it) is also small, with only 250 churches, so a requirement that all faculty or students at its only college be church members wouldn't yield enough people qualified to enroll or teach. The college has required all faculty members to be Christians, and students of all faiths have been welcome -- with only a minority of students and faculty members coming from the ARP.

This week, however, church leaders will gather to discuss a special report they commissioned about Erskine, which has been well regarded academically for its liberal arts programs, but which critics fear has strayed from its founding faith. The report has not been finalized or formally released, but some faculty members have seen it, as have some outside the college. The report is seemingly most critical of the church leaders themselves, saying that they have been "negligent" in overseeing the college. But the reasons given for why this negligence is faulted have many faculty members scared.

On the other hand, why on earth would they jeopardize faculty retention?

Man, I'd love to believe this is true.

No wonder I feel like I'm not getting enough sleep.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

19 Comments:

Blogger Ahistoricality on 3/05/2010 4:41 PM:

Rich is looking a little more prophetic after the Pentagon Truther shooting, though I think the Dr. Tiller assassination actually deserves to be considered the turning point from which the others drew their inspiration.

Does the fact that all recent earthquakes have shortened the rotational period of the earth explain why politicians have gone downhill in recent years? We used to say people were "honest as the day is long" but that's a declining quantity.....

Blogger Elefanterosado on 3/16/2010 9:35 AM:

hm, I seem to remember an arch Regan- loving conservative from a liberal college campus back in the 80s who was, conversely, seduced by the wild teachings of Timothy Leary and his drug-addled ways. He was seduced by Eastern religions too. My oh my, whatever happened to that young man I wonder?

Blogger Hochfart on 8/24/2011 3:44 AM:

Vestidosnow es una Vestidos de Fiesta 2012. Tenemos experiencia de muchos a?o en las 2012 vestidos de fiesta. Les ofrecemos variedades de vestidos formales, vestido de fiesta 2012. Tenemos experiencia de muchos años en las vestidos de fiesta baratos 2012, vestidos para graduación, vestidos de baile, así como Vestidos de Fiesta 2011. Todos son de precios económicos pero de alta calidad.

Anonymous personal shoppers Toronto on 12/22/2011 12:21 AM:

However, if any democracy is not structured so as to prohibit the government from excluding the people from the legislative process, or any branch of government from altering the separation of powers in its own favor, then a branch of the system can accumulate too much power and destroy the democracy. Thanks a lot.

Anonymous resume help on 12/26/2011 8:28 AM:

Many countries do not recognize drivers' licenses from other countries, however most countries accept international driving permits. Automobile insurance policies issued in one's own country are often invalid in foreign countries, and it's often a requirement to obtain temporary auto insurance valid in the country being visited. Thanks.
Regards,

Anonymous Louis Vuitton Sale on 3/01/2012 8:43 AM:

Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group? There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know;

Anonymous Anonymous on 3/01/2012 8:57 AM:

Then in order to repay majority of customers, a variety of products offered in Armani Outlet are in discount.

Anonymous Armani Spaccio on 3/01/2012 8:57 AM:

We believe our most considerate and best service will not let you down .Welcome to search our Armani Spaccio website and futher your inquiry online!

Anonymous Anonymous on 3/01/2012 8:57 AM:

our store launches many new products which include D&G, Dolce And Gabbana, Dolce & Gabbana,Dolce & Gabbana Outlet .

Anonymous Criminal Lawyer Toronto on 3/26/2012 7:55 AM:

The most successful of the new democracies were those geographically and culturally closest to western Europe, and they are now members or candidate members of the European Union. Some researchers consider that contemporary Russia is not a true democracy and instead resembles a form of dictatorship. Thanks a lot.

Anonymous Michael on 6/18/2012 12:02 PM:

The domination of Senate elections (and legislation) by forces outside of the particular states wherein elections are being held, e.g., out-of-state donations, political party operatives, and campaign consultants.
pita bread | Port Everglades shuttle service

Anonymous Missouri cdl test answers on 10/25/2012 8:47 AM:

This blog site is great. How did you come up witht he idea?

Anonymous dark knight jacket on 3/25/2013 3:55 AM:

Now we know who the ssebnile one is here. Great post!

dark knight jacket

Anonymous x men cyclops jacket on 3/29/2013 1:45 AM:

Perfect work you have done, this site is really cool with good information.

scott jacket

Anonymous johnclarke on 4/06/2013 7:28 AM:

It's often a requirement to obtain temporary auto insurance valid in the country being visited. Thanks.
dark knight rises costume

Blogger jimmy wilson on 1/18/2014 6:46 PM:

Fantastic article I like the write-up adore the way you defined things, you are carrying out an excellent job lots of others that you via which type of educational sites provide attention to be able to you linked to many points. I study other sorts of useful weblogs from a sites and also We are a whole lot serious using your writing a blog expertise, When i also begun to compose weblogs this also sort information sites truly support me personally out. My partner and i currently added your current webpage and also shared your current sites to be able to my own co-workers not merely me although all of them such as the blogs ability, desire an individual produce additional interesting sites like this one as well as all the best to your potential information sites.

Jimmy Wilson from Bond Suits

Anonymous Clipping Path on 3/24/2014 11:44 AM:

Want to be a Super Hero? If you are a bit short of super powers then try this workout challenge to see how suitable you would be. I'm not sure if ...

Anonymous Raja Poker Online on 4/15/2014 10:20 PM:

To create a such kind of article is really amazing,I daily read your blogs and give my announcement for that here this article is too great and so entertaining. 338A Sbobet Casino

Anonymous Judi Bola Online on 4/15/2014 10:31 PM:

Thanks for the info, maybe I can use this ended my tufted marketing and I've been use untold anulus media in run a interaction and they someone existing a big amend on me. Agen Bola Online